Monday 8 January 2007

Virgin birth

I am becoming a writer. See, I am using positive, affirming phrases, stating (to the universe, in particular) what will be, not that I might be, or am trying to be, or would like to be. I am becoming a writer.
And it is hard.
It's much harder work, actually, than I've thought. I've read that you have to spend a long time behind the computer, writing, and that is my first obstacle. I love reading stuff - the reason for wanting to be a writer - and I am constantly side-tracked by interesting stuff to read. I bought the Sunday Times yesterday, and I am still reading it. It is better to put more of it next to the toilet, because I forget about it, being there, and am pleasantly surprised when going to the loo.

In yesterday's paper, there is an interesting article on Scientology. The first time I've heard about the ...uhm, religion?religious fantasy?cult?science? that is Scientology, my friend P told me, with his decisive snigger, that it was created by a science fiction writer. At that moment I lost interest, to be honest. (I've got a few other tales to report re this phenomenon, but later.) Somebody should tell them that Christianity is for free.

Back the travails of writing. I am in a bad mood. I dreamt that my father had to play a piano examination and that I was his tutor, and he became very nervous. So one of the first lessons of writing is that it's harder to write when you're in a bad mood. I sat down for two hours trying to make sense of an article, and I gave up in disgust. I feel that I do not know anything.
...But, I wil move towards the positive, as extolled by McKenna et al Moving forward, I am a writer, I can see it. I can feel it, and smell it.

No comments: