Sunday 14 January 2007

Breakin' records

Today, my husband and I cycled 85k in 4hours 18 min! A record for me, for sure. Yesterday we were super organised (for a change) and read through a few back copies of his Cycling Plus magazine and decided to do half of the route of the Hampshire Cyclosportive starting at Highclere Caste. He plotted a route on the GPS, and we woke up at 6 this morning to start cycling at 9.
What a perfect day! Firstly, the wheather was divine, blazing blues skies, not a hint of wind. The friendly staff at the Carnarvon Arms allowed us to park our car there, since the castle is closed. We also missed out on the private roads that were used for the cyclosportive. It was great, great, great! I obviously ride better early in the morning, and we set out on a 22 kph pace for the first 40km. We filled up with cappucino and energy bars at the Sutton Scotney Texaco. Pay them a visit - they have a shop cat! On the way we came across a group of female angels, otherwise known as a group of women walking two disabled children in buggies. Angels.
I lost steam the last 20k and our final average was 19,5kph. I tend to bonk rapidly and the last few miles to The Carnarvon was filled with lustful thoughts of food. But we made it, and had the most incredibly delicious Sunday roast at the pub.

I'm tired today and this is a very unimaginative post, I know, I know. Alas. Can't disappoint the crowds.

1 comment:

CORY VOIGT said...

"I tend to bonk rapidly ....."

Letterlik?