Friday 13 April 2007

The beginnings of a pilgrimage

I have had another long and hard think about this blog. It needs to go somewhere, do something - which is one of the reasons I'm writing it. But now we're settled in Fife, a few things are falling in place, and one of them is our prospective trip to Spain. Ever since I've read Gerard Hughes' In Search of a Way, I've wanted to do the Camino de Santiago. And finally this year, it's going to happen.

We are going to do it decaf, meaning with bicycles, and I guess the journey might not be as spiritual as Gerry's. But isn't everything we do spiritual? I have a feeling every single thing that we think, do, say, or act, resonates somewhere, in some mysterious way. With God, or in God. How, I don't know, and that is also not important.

I seem especially spiritual tonight, possibly due to the wine we've had with supper. Slainte!!

To come back to the point, I want to bog, oops, blog about the preparation for the trip, and then publish a book (in Afrikaans?) about it. I can already imagine the title:
"The journey before the Journey", or
"A pilgrimage in perspective: what to take and what to leave behind"
And so forth.

Good night, and good luck!

3 comments:

CORY VOIGT said...

You will love Spain, esp the Route. DO learn at least a bit of Spanish before you go.
Also,there is a fair bit of precedent in SA literature for a love affair w Spain. Uys Krige, andre Brink, Jan rabie come to mind

Cory

CORY VOIGT said...

You will love Spain, esp the Route. DO learn at least a bit of Spanish before you go.
Also,there is a fair bit of precedent in SA literature for a love affair w Spain. Uys Krige, andre Brink, Jan rabie come to mind

Cory

Unknown said...

Thank you for the info! I actually have Andre Brink's book "Ole!", have never had the time to read it. Will definitely do before we go. Have you done it? The plan is to publish something afterwards, if I can fit a small enough notebook into the panniers...There is very little contemporary travel literature in Afrikaans, or at least I couldn't find much in SA when I was there last year. Hope the situation will change. Bye!