Tuesday 25 September 2007

Accidental animals

It's been two weeks since the big bang, and life is settling into a new rhythm. Each morning Duan wakes up before me, and I get to snuggle my head deeper into the pillow for a few more dreams. At some point he serves me with a steaming mug of decaf coffee and a bowl of porridge. My acquiescence that it is indeed morning, and time to wake up, is to prop myself higher on the pillow (grunting and huffling, not everyday that you break a bone in your back) and grab the mug. And, of course, give my angel husband a nice, big kiss.

Our room looks out on a miniscule back yard with a tree from which our bird feeder is suspended. Our squirrel-proof bird feeder that attracts an agreeable assortment of birds and one very crazy squirrel. We were woken one morning by what sounded like an old Marlboro smoker in lung therapy choking on a fish bone.
Uaghk. Uaaaghk. Uuaaghk.
It was our squirrel, hanging onto the feeder and barking to all birds, beasts and other creatures that this was, from now on, HIS patch.

People from over here don't understand how we get so excited at the sight of a rabbit or a squirrel. I mean, we have the big five, right? But in Pretoria you rarely see wild-ish animals in your back yard. They get eaten. Although...now I'm really thinking about it...I've seen recipes for squirrel stew, and this guy, Fergus Drennan, will eat, literally, anything. (For advice on roadkill cuisine, read his blog on the subject.)

For now, our mad squirrel is safe.

Here are a few squirrels for thought. Neither of them are ours, who hates the paparrazzi.




No comments: