Monday 13 August 2007

Cycling away

Last week, Duan and I cycled from our house in Fife all the way to Inverness. In three and a half days. Applause, applause - I am mightily pleased!

Cycling tours have so far proven to be one of the best discoveries we have made as a couple. I mean, we could've spend our free time watching dvds of corny old Sci-Fi series like Star Trek and Babylon Five, or waste days reading brainless whodunnits or playing Medieval Total War into the wee hours of the morning. Which are actually also things we have been doing lately. But we balance these passive leisure hours with periods of serious activity, and now we can relax again in front of series two of Lost. We are offsetting our passivity with calorie-burning exercise, like trading in carbon emissions and whatnot. Maybe I should start a company?

We left without incident on Monday, three hours after our planned starting time. I belatedly discovered that Vossie, my beloved furball, has not been innoculated recently enough, and after a deperate dash to the vets, they were dispatched into the kennels. In between we also quickly had to make an offer on a house (again), so we left a bit later. This time Duan did his husbandly duty by towing most of our luggage on a quaint new trailer. I love it, especially the yellow flag.


On Tuesday the weather was atrocious, and as I bore forward against a mighty headwind, I swore under my breath and wondered why I chose to spend my precious holiday time in such a barbaric manner. My average speed dropped to approximately 2,snail km an hour, and it started dripping. Conditions worsened when we saw the campsite don't click here at Pitlochry where we had booked to spend the night. Don't go there, it is horrible and depressing. Crowded, loud music, litter lying around, just not nice.

Everything became lovely again on days three and four with perfect sunshiny days and the most incredible cycling scenery on Route 7 of the National Cycing Network. They don't always get it right, but if they do - and on Route 7 they really, really do - it's amazing. Never a harsh hill to climb, mostly traffic free or on a minor road, and surrounded by the most breathtaking scenery this world has to offer. It was spectacular, and we promptly celebrated by spending a night at the charming Scot House Hotel in Kingussie. (Pronounced King-yoosie).


We saw loads of animals, including red squirrel times three, gazillions of sheep and coos, and, of course, rabbits. We had such a hard time getting one of these highland sheep to stand still and pose for a photo, but Duan ambushed an unsuspecting ram and managed to snap a pic:



My holiday is almost finished, so I have to make the best use of my time and return to the next episode of Lost.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aiii Reet! Dis om van blou te word van jaloesie! Maar eendag is eendag, dan vat ek en Pa saam met julle dit pad - op fietse!Terloops, jy skryf baie goed, hoor ...!
cd